Welcome to HSC!
Open to any CHP student, HSC is a fun-lovin' group of students who get together every Monday Night from 5:00-6:00 pm to eat delicious snacks and plan the fun events! So come on out and join our Monday nights to have your voice heard!
Some common events we plan include:
- Freshman Social- This social is a chance for freshman CHP students to get to know each other (and some more senior CHP students) a little better. Putting our own twist on a sort of speed friending, students tell each other stories based on topics like "worst injury" or "best travel experience" or "craziest roommate." Those with the best stories are awarded prizes at the end of the afternoon. It is a fun and carefree way to get to know a few more CHP freshman than just those in your CHP class.
- Halloween Party- Held at our beloved Honors House (a.k.a "HoHo") this classic event brings students together for a spooky night of cookie decorating, apple bobbing, and pi—ata breaking. Scary and cute costumes are more than welcome, and the best costumes are awarded prizes!
- Powerlunches- Powerlunches are a chance for the professors in the honors program to strut their stuff in intimate, fun, active conversations with a small group of honors students. Students who sign up and attend Powerlunches get to delve into a new topic of interest with a professor, plus get a FREE LUNCH! Powerlunches are one of our classic and most common events, but they fill up fast! Make sure to check one out!
- Regression Day- Honors students hate finals just as much as everybody else. So on Reading Day, we choose to regress to our childhood instead of studying difficult material. We head on out to the HoHo to watch a childhood favorite film. Previous films include things like "Back to the Future," "Home Alone," and "The Princess Bride." Ring pops, Fruit by the Foot, ants on a log, and Koala Yummies, soothe our tummies as they did when we were kids. Past regressions have even included activities like finger painting. Come be a kid again!
- Dinners Out- Occasionally, HSC will invite CHP students out to a dinner at one of C-U's restaurants. Favorites include Dos Reales, Red Herring, and Basil Thai. Bring your appetite and bring your friends and eat till your stomach is content!
- Fortnight Cafe- A few years ago, HSC purchased our beloved espresso machine, rightly named McSteamy. Since then, approximately every fortnight (or two weeks for those of us who speak American English), McSteamy has been bringing FREE espresso drinks and milk steamers to thirsty CHP students. Generally held in the evenings, Fortnight Cafe events are open to all students who desire to come on out to the HoHo lounge and nibble on cookies while sipping on espresso and chatting the night away or working on some homework. Our baristas are fully trained and have been officially knighted! The only rule of fortnight is: BYOM! (bring your own mug)
- Penny Wars- As dutiful citizens, sometimes HSC has to give back to the community. So we raise funds through Penny Wars to donate to various charities. In the past we have raised money for Nepalese slave children's' schooling and soap for an impoverished village. Students bring out their change and their dollar bills to the Honors House over several weeks to try to prevail over the other classes. Pennies count as positive points, while all other change and bills are negative, and the class with the most points wins!
- Spring Affair- All the great things about high school dances, minus the bad music and the mean girls! Ever spring semester, HSC hosts its biggest and best event, the Spring Affair. We rent out a room in the Union and dance the night away to everything from swing to pop music. A delicious Italian dinner complete with chocolate cake or tiramisu fills your stomach before music fills the air and students dance the night away. Raffle prizes are given away as well.
- FRED Talks- CHP students offer short talks on a variety of topics once or twice a year. This student organized event has become part of their "bucket list" for CHPers.
- Coffee Crawl- "Some students stay up to drink. We drink to stay up." That's what HSC thinks when it comes to the Coffee Crawl. Walking from one cafe to another, CHP students consume more caffeine than probably should be legal. Come out to enjoy not only coffee beverages, but also delicious desserts and truffles from campus favorites like Espresso Royale, Caffe Bene and ending the night with ice cream.!
HSC also has some crazier events in the works, or in its past, including things like:
- Board Game Days
- Visiting the Japan House
- iHelp Group at Homecoming
- Fred Talks
Theses are only some of our fun and fantastic events! If there is an event you would like to see in CHP, come on out to a Monday night meeting and make it happen! All CHP students and all suggestions (really, no matter how crazy or dorky) are welcome!