Spring 2023 Semester SAS offerings are listed below (registration is now open!, through the day before each program); every event must be registered for, and confirmation info will be sent to all registrants a few days before each event):
The Scholar Adventurers Series (SAS) is a series of events offered throughout the year by faculty members and others from a variety of disciplines who are engaged in interesting research projects or special educational endeavors. Students may register for Scholar Adventurers Series (SAS) programs on the Events Calendar at https://calendars.illinois.edu/list/4956
SAS listed below are ready for registration; you can sign up for as many as you’d like, and if you need to be placed on a waitlist, e-mail email@example.com:
- Harvesting Water Vapor: Increasing Freshwater Supply to Sustainably Address Global Water Security At Scale with Praveen Kumar on Monday, 2/20/23
- Why can Politicians Lie (in Advertising?), but Cheeseburgers Can’t? with Michelle Nelson on Monday, 2/27/23
- Indigenous Activism and Environmental Justice with Rosalyn LaPier on Monday, 3/6/23
- Tea Ceremony at Japan House (2 sessions) with Jennifer Gunji-Ballsrud, Kimiko Gunji, and Lindsey Stirek on Wednesday, 3/22/23
- Intro to/Applying for Nationally Competitive Scholarships (2 sessions) with David Schug, Nicole Nowbahar, and students on Thursday, 3/23/23
- The Physics of Baseball with Alan Nathan on Thursday, 3/30/23
- The Science of Educational Video Game Design with H. Chad Lane on Tuesday, 4/4/23
- Why Saying ‘Thank You’ Matters More Than You Think: Gratitude in Interpersonal Relations with Allen Barton on Thursday, 4/13/23
- The Consilience of Music and Technology in Understanding the Value of Indigenous Knowledge with Bernard Scully, Ann-Perry Witmer, and Jessica Mingee on Monday, 4/17/23
- Engineering “Mini Brains” to Study Neural Development, Injury, and Disease with Caroline Cvetkovic on Thursday, 4/20/23
- Smith Memorial Hall Tour – Music and History with Dennis Craig on Friday, 4/21/23
- Undergraduate Research Symposium with CHP Summer Research grant recipients and URS Presenters on Tuesday, 4/25/23
If an SAS is full when you go to register, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on a waitlist.
Students entering the CHP after Fall 2018 must participate in at least eight Scholar Adventurers Series (SAS) programs prior to graduation (approximately one per semester). A student may sign up for more than one SAS per semester, however, repeat attendance in an SAS does not earn additional credit. If you need to cancel a registration, please delete your submission using the link in the confirmation email that was sent upon submission of your registration, and contact the CHP at email@example.com.
KDR listed below are ready for registration! Please only sign up for one, and if you need to be placed on the waitlist, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org:
2/22/23, The Royale, Talk at 6:30, Performance at 7:30 p.m.
4/14/23, Coriolanus, Talk at 6:30, Performance at 7:30 p.m.
(There may be an additional 4/11 KDR opportunity at the Virginia Theatre announced in March!)
Students are required to do only one KDR over 4 years, but may do more (not more than one per semester). You must attend the talk and the performance to receive credit for the KDR. If the program is full when you go to register, please email email@example.com to be placed on a waitlist, and if there is a spot open, you will be notified by the day of the event. (Please sign up for only one KDR in a semester.)