What are the key features of the CHP?

Approximately 125 freshmen are admitted to the Campus Honors Program (CHP) each year. Incoming freshmen do not need to apply; the UIUC Undergraduate Admissions application serves as the application to all honors programs on campus, including the CHP. However, an optional supplemental application is available for students who wish to provide additional information to the Campus Honors Program beyond what is provided on the UIUC Undergraduate Admissions application.

Current freshmen may apply to join the CHP by submitting an application by approximately March 1 of their freshman year (please see this page for current deadlines and application form).

CHP courses provide an honors-quality way of satisfying General Education requirements, and help students to discover the interrelations between their own and other disciplines. Required CHP coursework is concentrated during the student’s first two years of study, when students take specialized versions of General Education courses. During the student’s last two years of study, students are required to take one CHP interdisciplinary seminar (or “capstone” course).

The CHP offers social and intellectual activities outside of the classroom through field trips, special events, and three co-curricular programs: the Keith Kelroy Convocation, Krannert Dress Rehearsals, and the Scholar Adventurers Series.
In consultation with their departmental academic advisors and with advisors on the CHP staff, Chancellor’s Scholars develop their own combination of regular and CHP courses.

How does being a Chancellor’s Scholar benefit me?

The CHP seeks to combine the advantages of a major public institution with those of a liberal arts college. Opportunities include:

  • $1,000 per year, split into $500 of support each semester for up to eight semesters
  • Stimulating courses designed especially for our students, and taught by some of the most dedicated and innovative faculty on campus. You will take these courses together with other Chancellor’s Scholars who represent all Colleges and a wide variety of majors on campus, meaning that your knowledge of these other disciplines and of a diverse cohort of your campus colleagues will be enhanced
  • Social and educational activities such as the Keith Kelroy Convocation (presentation by and focused interaction with a prominent author), Krannert Dress Rehearsals, and Scholar Adventurers Series programs (presentations and discussion with top faculty) – again, together with other students who represent all Colleges and a huge variety of interests
  • Opportunities to participate in CHP-specific Travel Courses (both abroad and domestic)
  • Early registration every semester
  • Summer Research and Travel Grants that support study abroad, internship opportunities, and research projects
  • Access to the Honors House, with its atmosphere conducive to study and relaxation, as well as free printing for CHP classwork

What are the criteria for admission to the CHP?

Acceptance is based upon a wide variety of nuanced factors developed in cooperation with University Admissions and other offices, including but not limited to: evidence of academic achievement and motivation, leadership, extracurricular involvement, and potential for maximizing the opportunities offered by the Campus Honors Program environment.

What kinds of courses does the CHP offer?

CHP courses cover a wide range of disciplines, and represent nearly every College on campus. We offer a selection of honors-variant General Education courses and interdisciplinary seminars.

Chancellor’s Scholars are required to choose four courses and one interdisciplinary seminar from a listing of CHP offerings that best fit their personal interests, as well as their college and departmental curricular requirements.

Are CHP courses more difficult than regular courses?

No. Students can expect a more interactive, seminar-style environment. Because CHP class sizes typically are smaller (approximately 20 students) and rely on discussion, each student does participate actively. Our faculty are dedicated to undergraduate instruction, passionate about their research, and genuinely love working with the Chancellor’s Scholars. Students must receive a minimum grade of B- in their CHP classes to have those classes fulfill the CHP requirement.

How do CHP requirements fit in with other university requirements?

Most (and often all) CHP courses satisfy campus General Education requirements, and are encouraged to be taken during the first two years of study. Four of the five CHP courses are either honors versions of General Education courses or special topics courses that may be taken as electives. The fifth course is an interdisciplinary seminar (or “capstone” course), which is taken during the student’s last two years of study. CHP courses count towards James Scholar (College-level honors) requirements.

What if I decide that CHP isn’t for me?

Participation in the CHP is voluntary, and students who wish to withdraw will receive credit for completed CHP courses. Please contact the CHP staff at chp@illinois.edu should you wish to discuss the options available. Students should notify their departmental academic advisor and the CHP in writing at chp@illinois.edu.

Can I leave the University for a semester without losing my place in the program?

Yes. Students choosing to take a leave of absence must contact their departmental academic advisor, and also notify the CHP in writing at chp@illinois.edu.

What if I want to take a semester or even a year off to do something special, like study abroad, a work/study co-op, or an internship?

Students do occasionally take a semester or year off, and many students at Illinois study abroad. The student must contact their departmental academic advisor in advance of this period, and also notify the CHP in writing. Study abroad may be substituted for the CHP interdisciplinary capstone seminar in meeting program requirements.

Can I get research experience through the CHP?

Yes. Chancellor’s Scholars may apply for a CHP Summer Research and/or Travel Award. The Summer Research Award provides recipients a stipend of $2,000 for eight weeks to explore a topic of their choice, working under the supervision of a faculty sponsor. The CHP Summer Travel Award supports domestic and foreign travel for such purposes as studying abroad, an internship opportunity, or gaining access to research resources. A maximum of $1,000 will be awarded for travel outside the U.S.; $500 maximum for travel within.

Who will advise me on academic matters?

Students should contact their departmental academic advisor regarding academic matters. CHP Associate Director Anne Price is the contact person for information related to CHP courses. However, CHP Associate Directors Elizabeth Rockman and Anne Price, as well as CHP Director Laurie Johnson, are all available to advise Chancellor’s Scholars on overall academic trajectories, graduate school and/or career planning, time management, and other success and support strategies.

Does the CHP sponsor social activities?

Yes. The CHP sponsors many social events such as an orientation breakfast and BBQ, the Keith Kelroy Convocation, field trips, a spring formal, and a graduate recognition and reception. Additionally, the Honors Student Council (open to all Chancellor’s Scholars) arranges social activities such as movie and game nights, cultural engagement and awareness events, holiday-themed gatherings, and much more. Chancellor’s Scholars also have the opportunity to write for our in-house literary magazine, the Equinox, and for the CHP Annual.

Is there special housing for honors students?

Yes. University Housing offers an Honors Living-Learning Community option for honors students. The Honors Living-Learning Community (or: Honors LLC) currently is located in Wardall Hall, within the Illinois Street Residence Halls. See also University Housing’s Living-Learning Communities page.

Is there financial aid for honors students?

Chancellor’s Scholars receive $1,000 per year, split into $500 of support each semester for up to eight semesters. Additional financial support for research and travel is also available (see: Can I get research experience through the CHP? here above).

What will it cost to participate in the CHP?

There is no cost to apply for or participate in the CHP.

How do I apply for admission to the CHP?

The Campus Honors Program primarily admits incoming freshmen. Current freshmen also have the opportunity to apply to the program immediately after their first semester. Details for both of these paths of admission are given here above (see What are the key features of the CHP?) and on the Admissions section of this website.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Please write, email or call:

Campus Honors Program
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1205 West Oregon Street
Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 244-0922